Friday, January 2, 2015

Leaving for Home

We left Mexico today to start our way home.  We left way later than we thought but we were in no rush and it was nice just to go at our own pace.  It was really hard saying goodbye though.  I woke up and went out into the living room where Angel and Odette were sleeping to see if they wanted me to take the baby so they could sleep more.  He was up coughing really bad all night, poor little guy.  I was just holding him and snuggling him and playing with him and I just bursted into major tears.  I'm going to miss him, my little happy sweet pea and all of them so much.  It has been truly wonderful being here.  We were with Angel, Odette and their family for the entire time we were here.  It was super hard to say goodbye to them. I feel like we were able to become much closer with them this time.  It's like they're our other half, kinda!   My heart just aches knowing it's going to be another 2 years before we can go back down to spend time with them.
We all left in Papi's pickup truck.  We stopped and got our car from the Mennonites.  It was only $12 to have our car there for the entire time.  So we got in and it was messier that I had remembered but it was dark when we dropped it off.  It had a funny smell but I thought it was just from the bad wind blowing all the dirt around.  Well, we get to the town right before the border where we stop for gorditas, I started cleaning up to get ready to pack the car.  I started picking up some of things and then realized that there were hundreds and hundreds of little mouse poos throughout the entire car!!!!  NASTY!!!!!DISCUSTING!!!!!!  Then we realized Mateo was playing with the blanket we left in the car that had mouse pee and poop all throughout it too.  I was horrified to say the least.
So, I made Quique go clean the car because I was not about to drive 20 hours in a mouse poo infested car.  So he went and cleaned it, and wiped down every surface.  When we get home the car has to be sanitized big time!
We ate the gorditas while Papi and Quique were cleaning the car.  Then they came and ate and it didn't take long to pack the car at all.  It went pretty fast actually AND everything fit!
We crossed the border with no time at all.  That was the shortest wait we've ever had and the border patrolman was nice.
Now we're off for Monticello to stay over at a hotel.  The drive actually went pretty fast until we hit a terrible blizzard.  We were the only car moving somewhat fast.  No one knew how to drive in the snow down in New Mexico.  Then we hit some intense fog that we could barely see.  Having said that, it was a nice drive.  We didn't slide or spin out at all.  It was absolutely frigid outside.  Yet again I was reminded how I should have brought everyone's winter coats.....oops!
The kids were super excited to get to the hotel.  We had to wake them all up to go in and then they were definitely awake enough for our hotel ritual of jumping on the beds.  Then they got pjs on and were asleep shortly there after.