Sunday, January 26, 2014

Southern Florida- Day 5

Today we kept it simple.  We went to church in nearby Homestead.  It ended up being Stake Conference.  It was for all of Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina (48 stakes total).  It was wonderful.  We were meant to miss the cruise so that we could be here for this.  I know it might sound silly but we both felt it.  We both got that affirmation of the Lord is over all and if we have to be at a stake conference in southern Florida he'll make it possible for us to be there....like missing our cruise.
Elder Nelson presided over the meeting and there were other general authorities as well.  The spirit was so strong.  Then it hit me, yes I am grateful for living in Utah and raising our family there.  That our kids have great friends with mostly the same morals and upbringing.  I was raised in a non-mormon dominate community and have a strong testimony, so I know it can be done.  The young women here, in Homestead, were dressed modestly, a stark contrast to last night.  It's the gospel, no matter where you live, that brings the comfort, the peace, the high moral standards, everything you need to live righteously, no matter where in the world you are.  It starts in the home and how important it is to teach my children to be honest, kind, virtuous and live with integrity.  To live in the world but not be of the world.  It was lovely being here for this historical event (it was the first time broadcasting a stake conference to so many stakes at once).
After church, we went back to the hotel and changed.  Then we were off to do the Safari Air Boat ride through the Everglades.  I have to admit, I wasn't so thrilled to be on a boat looking at alligators, but it was really cool.  I'm glad we did it.  It was a perfect Sunday activity, while on vacation that is.  Out in nature and see God's beauty and His creations.  We got to see lots of alligators, turtles, birds, snakes, and more.
After the air boat ride, we went to see an alligator show.  Yep, the guy put his hand in the alligator's mouth to only pull it out just in time.  It was cool though.  He would call their names and they did respond to him.  They were massive in size too.  At the end of the show, you could hold a baby alligator if you wanted.  Quique did, but I didn't.  We waited our turn.  He held it and I touched it.  It freaked me out because the one he held last night was warm.  This one was cold and slimy.  YIKES!
We walked around the rest of the park with caution.  Because we saw several alligators, not behind fences that were way to close for comfort, just along our path.  Quique was going to take a photo of me and then we realized that a 13 foot long alligator was only a few feet from me.  Then of course,  Quique scared me a few times and absolutely loved it.  However, I did get him pretty good too!  He jumped out of his skin.  hahahaha
Afterwards we went back to the hotel, had a nap, went for dinner and came back to the hotel.  We were watching tv and I totally fell asleep.  Quique talked to the kids and tried to wake me apparently but to no avail.  Today was a great day!