Monday, January 27, 2014

Southern Florida- Day 6

Today is our last day in Florida.  So we decided to drive down to Key West.   The drive down was so beautiful.  I didn't realize the 'Keys' are made up of so many tiny islands and tons of bridges to connect them all.  I thought, for some reason, that it was a long highway just to Key West and nothing in between.  Boy was I wrong!  It was such a beautiful drive.  You are literally on a tiny piece of land all the while one side of you is the Gulf of Mexico and the other is the Atlantic Ocean.  It was pretty cool.  However, I don't know how they protect themselves during the storm/hurricane seasons because they are such small pieces of land.
On our way down, I was calling all the snorkeling places to see what our options were.  We decided to stick to one of the ones that snorkel off Marathon in the Sombrero Reef, about 8 miles out from shore.
We had about 2 hours to kill until we needed to be there so we drove around looking at the sites and how beautiful it was.  We picked the best day to go.  It was the sunniest and warmest during our whole stay there.  It was time to be at the dock so we could check in, get our wet suits and board the boat to go snorkeling.  Now, now.....let me just tell you I am not found of boats or the ocean so this was a huge thing for me (the whole cruise thing too), however I was able to cope pretty well until we sat down on the boat.  I had already taken Dramamine and hoped it kicked in.  I had a bit of a panic attack before we started sailing.  I was so freaked out.  I just focused on breathing and how much Quique wanted to do this and it worked.  I calmed down.  We left the dock and was in the Gulf of Mexico on our way to the Atlantic.  It was awesome.  We saw lots of boaters, fishermen, and we even got to see 2 dolphins jumping in and out of the water.  That was amazing!!!  Only in movies but no, we saw it with our own eyes.  We couldn't wait to tell the kids, specially Gaby, since they are her favorite.
We arrive to the reef and panic hits me again and with a force.  The captain gave us all instructions and what we could possibly see while snorkeling.  Then he gave us more detailed instructions since we had never snorkeled before.  Then it was time to get in the water.  I just couldn't do it.  I was terrified.  Poor Quique was in the water and I am just hyperventilating on the deck trying to calm myself down and jump in the water.  He counts several times and I couldn't do it.  Finally I pulled myself together and I jumped in.  Yes, I was still panicking and it didn't help.  I had to hold on to the ladder and fast just to ground me to get ready.  Then we were off.  Thankfully we had the wet suites.  I think we were the ones who stayed in the longest actually because we had them on.
While we were snorkeling, we saw these long big fish, which I've come to find out that were Barracudas...several of them and I was super close to the one.  I was starring at it and I just didn't feel like I should be so close to I moved away but there were many of them.  Then I saw a shark, not huge by any means but it was a shark.  So I say "shark" to Quique as best as I could and I felt the panic start.  However, Quique distracted me and had me start videoing so he could dive to the bottom.....yes, he's crazy.  No way would I do it!  hahahaha  I am pathetic.  Anywho, we've got some ok videos and photos from his phone under water but not too great.  We couldn't work it too well because of the pressure. 
Once we were done trying to work the camera, we held hands and snorkeled a while.  It was really cool.  We were showing each other all the different things we were seeing.  So many brightly colored fish.  The corral, however, was disappointing.  I thought all corral was brightly colored as well and this corral was brown.  It was still neat but I just envisioned it a bit different is all.
We were dodging jelly fish the entire time so we wouldn't get stung either.   So between the jelly fish and the "big fish" (barracuda) and the shark  I needed a break.  As we went over to get on the boat, we kept getting hit by big waves.  So I started getting nauseous.  I couldn't grab the ladder to climb up because of the bigger waves that were coming.  Then I got it but then couldn't get my flippers off.  Then I hear Quique say, "Come on, hurry up."  Which surprised me.  Then I found out that he was very nauseous and had thrown up 2 times trying to get on board.  He also got stung by a jelly fish waiting to get on too.  I felt really bad.  He looked really sick.  I felt sick but he looked it.  So we waited about 10 more minutes and everyone was on board and we started back for the shore.  The little older lady kept telling us to look at the horizon and breath through our mouths.  It worked for me but not for Quique.  I was almost back to normal by the time we docked.  However, Quique had to go to the bathroom and let it all out before he felt better. 
All & all, it was awesome but off the bucket list.  We enjoyed it but the end almost ruined the whole thing because we got so sick. 
We both felt much better and decided to continue south to Key West.  We arrived in time to watch the sunset.  It was beautiful.  We also got there just as a couple had just been married and were walking down the beach.  It was really cool.  We took lots of photos, mostly Quique took them of me- yuk.  We walked along the beach and realized there were no sea shells.  This was the first beach that didn't have any at all.  So we took sand.  We had gotten shells for the kids at every beach thus far, so we took the sand for them.  It was really romantic actually, walking along the beach, holding hands, at sunset.  It was beautiful.  Specially to end our very spontaneous trip this way was just magical. 
We ended up seeing many barracudas, 2 sharks (one was huge and Quique saw it, I didn't or I would have gotten out), a sting ray, and tons of colorful fish and 2 dolphins jumping in and out of the water.
It was pretty cool today on the boat ride out to the reef.  One lady asked if we were on our honeymoon because we looked so much in love.  I told her yes and no.  Yes because we never had a honeymoon but no it was our 10 anniversary.  She was so happy and then she asked if we had any kids and I told her we had 4 and seemed to be genuinely over joyed for us.  It was neat.  Then at the beach in Key West, we were walking along the beach holding hands and these early 20's kids were saying how much in love we looked and how special it was for them to see people so much in love.  It was a really neat day.  Yes, I am more in love with my husband than the day we were married. He is the best friend any one could ever have and he's mine!  I am so lucky!!!  I love you my Poppet!