Wednesday, April 2, 2014

ER Visit

Today was Mateo's very first time to the ER.  Mateo was running around, tripped and fell....like normal.  Except he fell and his head hit the dinning table that is made of iron.  He had a deep cut on his forehead but not much blood was coming.  Lili was a big helper and got everyone their shoes and coats.  We left immediately.  I stopped at our neighbor's house, who happens to be an ER nurse.  She looked at him and said that he would just need it cleaned and glued shut.  She helped me calm down and I was good to go.  I had to calm Lili down, poor thing.
I couldn't find Ogden Regional Hospital, I thought it was closer than the other, which wasn't.  So I pull into an insta care from Intermountain and they told me it would be best for me to go else where because on the out of network fees.  So we get back in the car and go to McKay Dee Hospital.  I should have just gone there to begin with.  Never again will I falter from there.  They were wonderful!  Ooop, I need to back up.  I was on the phone with the insurance trying to make sure which hospital I could go to.  The automatic system hung up on me.  After being told to leave and go to the ER, I called back.  The woman was very helpful and was totally appalled that the insta care told us to go else where.  However, my panic set in while I was on the phone with her, unfortunately. 
Mateo had fallen asleep and she was 'very uncomfortable letting me hang up until we got to the hospital.'  So I had to pull over to wake up Mateo.  That terd was pretending to be asleep and was giggling his head off!  We made it to the ER and the insurance lady hung up with me.
We go to register and then Quique calls and I loose it right in front of the people.  I was holding it together pretty good, so I thought!  hahaha
After registering, the kids had to go potty.  We came out and then it was Mateo's turn to be seen.  He was not cooperative.  It was just a nurse taking his vitals.  Then we go over to the ER room and the people come in and out asking what happened. Every time someone came in, Mateo would start crying.
Then it was time to flush it out.  YUK!!!  They used a huge syringe full of warm water to flush it out, 3 times.  They covered him in water proof blue things and towels.  The cut looked so deep when they were flushing it out.  I got all gooey so I couldn't watch any more.  Then they put numbing medicine on the cut and wrapped his head so he wouldn't touch it. 
During the 20 minutes that needed to work its magic, a 'child life' worker came down to be with us.  She was wonderful.  She brought her box of toys and fun stuff to distract Mateo and help him to feel happy.  It worked after about 5-10 minutes.  He was playing with her and we were sitting on the bed so when they came in to actually glue his forehead back together he was calm about it.  Not much fussing what so ever.  I was amazed.  Casey was her name and she was our small miracle for the day.  I couldn't thank her enough.  Then she brought in 2 prizes for Lili and 2 for Mateo.  Lili was excellent the whole time, other than getting a bit scared and cried for Mateo but she was a great help too, calming him down.
Our tender mercy today came in the form of actually 2 people, Ray, the ER nurse and Casey, the child life lady.  Because of Casey, Mateo started playing with Ray when he would come in and out.  Which is huge since, Mateo is scared of strangers.
Thank you Heavenly Father for taking care of Mateo with those sweet people and helping me to hold it together!